SEK League

Red Alert

SEK League

Post by Red Alert » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:48 pm

The SEK is playing out so far about as predicted in the coaches poll.

Ft. Scott vs. Chanute - Ft. Scott has been impressive so far but strength of schedule in first two games has been pretty week. Tigers travel to Chanute this week. Blue Comets are coming off a beat down from Pittsburg last week, but that probably wasn't too surprising. If Ft. Scott similarly dispatches Chanute we may not know how good they are until they also play Pittsburg in week 4. Tigers should win this one handily.

Labette County @ Osawatomie - Grizzlies are probably the 2nd best team in the SEK but are coming off a 39-0 loss to powerful Andale last week. Osawatomie is 0-2. I like the Grizzlies to rebound and move to 2-1 with a win.

Indy @ Parsons - If you look at the common opponent for both teams - Ft. Scott, you see that both games virtually identical. Parsons did score 21 points against Coffeyville, which is 3 more points than Indy has scored in two games. Parsons hasn't beaten Indy since a 1 point win in 2011. I'll go out on a limb and say the Vikings pull this game out in what may be another single digit margin of victory.

Coffeyville @ Riverton - Coffeyville is averaging 33 points per game through two games. Riverton is averaging 0 ppg. I think the math is in Coffeyville's favor. Nado get the win.

Shagnasty

Re: SEK League

Post by Shagnasty » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:59 pm

Indy is really young. Lot of frosh and soph.

Red Alert

Post by Red Alert » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:09 pm

I haven't gotten to see much of the SEK ever since Columbus moved to the CNC, but seems like there has been a pretty significant drought of late. Was used to Chanute and Ft. Scott making good runs in 4A. Coffeyville had their team that made it to the title game a few years back, but of late nobody has been able to get any traction in the playoffs. Will be interested in seeing if Coach Campbell has Ft. Scott moving back into a position to at least be competitive in their very tough district or whether Coffeyville or Labette County might be able to get a playoff win this year. Of course I'm getting ahead of myself now....I now turn the topic back to week 3.

zlopez

Post by zlopez » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:12 pm

I get why Coffeyville went to schedule a 3A team. Not a good look, but you have to get the schedule filled out and try to get some excitement back in the program. My guess is you won't see any 3A teams next year in their schedule.

Red Alert

Post by Red Alert » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:38 pm

I could see them maybe keeping the Galena game. I went to that game last year and it was a very good game with Galena pulling out a 38-33 win. But they definitely don't want to keep playing Riverton. I would enjoy seeing Columbus pick them back up now that Southeast is dropping from the CNC and the Titans need to find a new opponent (Columbus had only a 1 year contract to go to Pawnee OK after SE dropped their game with us this year).

LabetteFan

Post by LabetteFan » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:28 pm

I am really enjoying getting to watch the Grizzlies play teams they were never able to play before, when we had 9 teams in our league. Only one non conference game, then the same old match ups year after year.

I came back home from Georgia, where there are no leagues whatsoever. Just non district and district play.

Wondering if anyone besides me thinks Kansas might be heading in that direction, with the proposed new open scheduling, then bracket play beginning on week 9, for 6A thru 4A?

Red Alert

Post by Red Alert » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:54 pm

I don't know if Kansas is heading that way by design, but it certainly is making league affiliation harder for some of these leagues with schools from multiple classes. Parsons situation was mentioned. Topeka Hayden is another good example playing in the Centennial League. They are presently 4A-II, possibly going to 3A next year playing in a league of 5A & 6A schools. I know there is a lot of historical league pride for some but I really don't care whether the team I support is playing for a league title or not. I'd rather play teams that can challenge you and make you better. I think Pittsburg going to an independent schedule in football was a great move and doubt they are really missing be an SEK league member.

LabetteFan

Post by LabetteFan » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:15 pm

Yes, I was thinking along those same lines. You can still have your rivalry games, and games against common foes that you can match up with. But the freedom to schedule outside can create a more exciting experience for the players, students and fans.
Coach Price has not only accelerated interest in football at LC with his scheduling (and outstanding coaching), but our band has more than doubled in size, as well as the dance team, cheerleaders, and student body participation at the games.
Even though we may not be able to compete yet with an Andale or Paola, we get to test our skills with those elite programs and it can only help when it comes to district play.