Caney Valley moves to 2-0 with 41-0 shutout win over Eureka

CANEY — A 29-point second quarter sent Caney Valley to a convincing 41-0 victory over Eureka on a damp and cool Friday night at Caney Valley High School Stadium.

This contest was originally scheduled to be played in Eureka but was moved to Caney due to damaged suffered by a tornado at Eureka’s football stadium over the summer.

“I thought we got out of the gate slow,” said CVHS coach Criss Davis. “It really wasn’t very good conditions out there. It was wet. I never use that as an excuse, but we just looked sluggish out there compared to the way we were in our first game.”

The Bullpups improved to 2-0 on the season as they prepare for their first road trip on Friday, Sept. 14, at Neodesha. The Bluestreaks currently stand at 0-1 overall following a week-one loss to Humboldt. Their contest Friday night against Erie was postponed due to the weather and rescheduled for Monday night in Neodesha.

As for the Tornadoes, they dropped to 1-1 overall following a season-opening victory over Leon-Bluestem one week earlier. Eureka — which will play an all-road schedule this season — will travel to Humboldt next Friday. The Cubs (1-0) had their Friday contest at Fredonia postponed and will now be played in Humboldt Saturday evening at 5 p.m.

Caney Valley has dominated its series with Eureka for more than a decade. In fact, heading into Friday’s contest, the Bullpups had outscored the Tornadoes by an average of 39 points per game over the past 15 meetings while allowing double digits in scoring just three times during that stretch.

That trend continued on Friday as the ‘Pups dominated on both sides of the ball. Caney Valley racked up 435 total yards — including 343 on the ground by way of 35 carries — while limiting Eureka to just 154 yards and a net of just 23 yards rushing.

CVHS grabbed a 6-0 lead in the first quarter on a one-yard touchdown run by Brendon Buoy. Yet, the Bullpups blew the game wide open with a big second quarter.

Cole Ellis got things going with touchdown runs of six and 12  yards to push the lead up to 21-0. Then with 2:11 left in the period, Caney Valley was back in the end zone on a 10-yard scamper by Matthew Simpson.

Eureka had a chance to get back in it before halftime and appeared to do so on a touchdown pass from Cade Burden to Zach Hare. But the play was negated on a live-ball unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on the Tornadoes that took the points off the board with under a minute left.

Instead, CVHS would get the ball back and took full advantage as quarterback Trey Richey found Buoy on a 45-yard scoring strike with just 13 seconds left before halftime to bump the lead up to 35-0.

The teams played to a scoreless third quarter before Caney Valley tacked on one last score in the final period on a one-yard dive into the end zone by Trey King.

Simpson surpassed the century mark on the ground for the ‘Pups, finishing with nine carries for 124 yards and a touchdown.

Defensively, Caney Valley forced four turnovers, with Eryk Kyser picking off two passes and Ellis and Simpson both recovering fumbles.

This was the fourth straight year the Bullpups shut out the Tornadoes. In fact, CVHS has held EHS scoreless in the last 18 quarters played between the two teams, outscoring the Tornadoes 196-0 during that stretch.

(Photo by Sheri Thompson)