FORT SCOTT — Jumping out to a 36-point lead at the intermission, Fort Scott cruised to a 55-12 Southeast Kansas League victory over winless Independence last Friday at Frary Field.

With the win, the Tigers — coming off a 42-0 loss at Paola one week earlier — improved to 2-1 overall and 2-0 in the SEK. Fort Scott will next make the trip south to Pittsburg to take on their biggest rival. The Purple Dragons remained unbeaten on the season at 3-0 following a 34-31 home win over Blue Valley North a week ago.

On the other side, Independence continued its search for win No. 1 of the season as it dropped to 0-3 overall and 0-2 in league play. The Bulldogs will be on the road for a third straight week on Friday when they make the short trek south to Coffeyville. The Golden Tornado are 1-2 overall and 0-2 in the SEK following a 28-14 loss at league favorite Labette County last week. This will be the 101st meeting all-time between Independence and Coffeyville in one of the longest continuous series in the state of Kansas.

Fort Scott dominated both sides of the ball against a struggling Independence squad. The Tigers finished the game with 467 total yards on a balanced attack of 256 on the ground and 211 through the air. Defensively, FSHS held IHS to 226 yards rushing and 255 total for the game.

The Tigers took a little more than three minutes to get on the board, capping off a seven-play, 55-yard drive with a nine-yard touchdown pass from Matt Campbell to C.J. Horton. The conversion was successful, giving the host team an 8-0 lead.

Midway through the period, the Tigers were at it again on a one-yard dive into the end zone by Alec Michaud. Two minutes later, Campbell found Tyler Gorman on a 71-yard bomb to cap off a 22-point quarter by Fort Scott.

FSHS continued to dominate play before halftime. Cooper Bradbury went into the end zone on an eight-yard run. Then later in the second quarter, Campbell tossed his third touchdown pass — this time on a 38-yard strike to Horton — to give the Tigers a 36-0 edge at the intermission.

After a rough first half, Independence was able to come out of the locker room with a little fire and picked up its first points of the game. Brayden Coller found Wyatt Chism for a 29-yard TD pass a little more than two minutes into the third quarter.

Fort Scott responded with a 19-yard scoring jaunt by Connor Fess, and a few moments later added a 25-yard fumble return for a touchdown by Treyton Wilson to extend the lead to 49-6 after three quarters.

The entire fourth period was played with a running clock. Fess capped off Fort Scott’s scoring with a five-yard run just seconds into the quarter. Independence was able to get into the end zone one last time on a 43-yard run by Travareus Wilson on the game’s final play.

Campbell led Fort Scott’s offense, completing 11-of-12 passes for 211 yards. His top receiver was Horton with four catches for 78 yards. Fess was the Tigers’ top rusher with 11 carries for 86 yards.

Travareus Wilson surpassed the century mark in rushing for the Bulldogs, finishing the game with 16 carries for 103 yards.

%d bloggers like this: