Jayhawk-Linn defeats Uniontown to stay perfect

MOUND CITY — On a wet and soggy Friday night, Jayhawk-Linn was able to use a stout defensive effort to keep Uniontown at bay. Scoring three times in their first four drives, the Jayhawks were able to jump out to a first half lead allowing their defense to do the rest.

The three time defending TRL champion Jayhawks improved to 2-0, while Uniontown fell to 0-2 with the loss.

The Eagles began their first drive with a jolt of energy, picking up a pair of quick first downs. Running back Andrew Reed burst through the line of scrimmage for 12-yards on the contest’s opening play. A handful of runners powered Uniontown to their second first down, but eventually the Eagles turned the ball over on downs.

Jayhawk-Linn then took control of the ball near their own 40-yard line. Early on it appeared to be the Hayden Broyles’ show for the Jayhawks, as he ripped off a huge gain down to the Uniontown 25-yard line. Two plays later Broyles would take a hand-off 19-yards for a Jayhawk-Linn touchdown. The 2-point try was unsuccessful resulting in a 6-0 lead for the Jayhawks.

After holding the Eagles’ offense to a punt, the Jayhawks again took control of the ball near mid-field. The drive appeared to be headed in the wrong direction after Uniontown’s Zach Franklin sacked Treyton Compton for an 11-yard loss. However on the next play, Jayhawk running back Cade Kellstadt took the ball 22-yards for a first down. Later, the Eagles appeared to have stopped the Jayhawks again, but a pass interference call in the end zone kept the possession alive. Eventually Hayden Broyles took a toss sweep 1-yard for the Jayhawk-Linn score. In total, the 12-play drive lasted 8:31 and saw 7 penalties thrown on the two teams as well as multiple fourth down conversions. In the end, the scoreboard read 12-0 in favor of the Jayhawks with 8:06 remaining in the second quarter.

Neither the Eagles nor the Jayhawks were able to get into a rhythm on offense after that, trading punts throughout much of the second quarter.

That changed when the Jayhawks took over on the Uniontown 48-yard line, moving quickly down the field. Quarterback Treyton Compton hit Hayden Broyles for a 17-yard completion. Then with just 0:26 left in the quarter, Compton called his own number on a quarterback scramble, scoring a touchdown. After a failed 2-point conversion, Jayhawk-Linn entered half-time leading 18-0 over Uniontown.

As the second half began, it was very apparent that the rainy conditions had taken quite a toll on the football field, leaving it in a muddled mess. The poor field conditions highlighted just how important the early touchdowns for the  Jayhawks were.

Forcing the Jayhawks to punt on their opening drive of the second half, the Eagles appeared ready to cut into the deficit. To begin the drive quarterback Ty Davidson found Andrew Reed for a 9-yard pickup. Later, Davidson scrambled 18-yards up to the Jayhawk-Linn 48-yard line. On the next play, Reed took a carry 12-yards for another Eagle first down. Davidson and Reed continued their impressive drive, hooking up for a second time. Making three Jayhawk defenders whiff, Reed took the Davidson pass 14-yards down to the Jayhawk-Linn 22-yard line. However, the Jayhawk-Linn defense would again pin their ears back, forcing a turnover on downs.

The third quarter would end with the same score it began with: 18-0 in favor of the Jayhawks.

As the rain continued to fall, both defenses had appeared to be settled in, forcing the opposing offense to punt. With a little over half of the fourth quarter remaining, Uniontown sped its offensive tempo up hoping for a late comeback bid. Needing points quickly, the Eagles moved the ball through the air. Quarterback Ty Davidson hit receiver Jez Simpson for a 22-yard gain as well as Andrew Reed for a 9-yard gain. After converting on a 4th-and-1, Davidson used a quarterback scramble to find the end zone from 7-yards out. Uniontown had cut the lead to 18-6, but time was running short.

The Jayhawk-Linn defense would hold the Eagles on their next two drives, effectively ending the contest.

Uniontown head coach Jeremy Neville said after Friday night’s contest, “We missed out on several plays that were there to be made. Costly penalties did not help us either.” He later added, “It has been a tough start, but we just need to keep building and continue to improve.”

Andrew Reed carried the ball 15 times for 58-yards for the Eagles while Ty Davidson finished the contest with 38-yards on 13 carries, including 1 touchdown. Davidson also threw for 55-yards on 6-18 passing. Jez Simpson had 22-yards receiving. Defensively Uniontown was paced by Reed’s 19 tackles. Davidson and Nick Hathaway both tallied 11 tackles while Zach Snyder finished with 8 tackles.

Randy Leach, head coach of the Jayhawks, said after the football game, “We did some good things. However, we still need to improve in all phases of the game.” Leach also said, “The Eagles are a good team that is well coached. They put us in situations that made things extremely difficult for us.”

Jayhawk-Linn finished with 283-yards of total offense for the night. Running backs Hayden Broyles and Cade Kellstadt paced the Jayhawk’s rushing attack with 83-yards a piece, while Broyles also had 2 touchdowns. Quarterback Treyton Compton also chipped in a rushing touchdown.

Uniontown (0-2, 0-2 TRL) will play host to Northeast on Friday (9/14). Jayhawk-Linn (2-0, 2-0 TRL) will look to stay in the driver’s seat for the league title as they travel to compete with the upstart Pleasanton Blu-Jays on Friday (9/14).

UNIONTOWN     0  0  0  6  =  6

JAYHAWK-LINN  6  12  0  0 = 18