ARMA, Kan. – In a wild game that contained five lead changes and three ties, the Uniontown Eagles would ultimately prevail over the Northeast-Arma Vikings in double-overtime, 38-30.

On their first possession, the Vikings steadily marched down the field into Uniontown territory using a multitude of jet sweeps and reverses. Needing a defensive stop, Eagles’ freshman Zach Franklin stripped a Northeast tailback, resulting in a fumble that was recovered by teammate Clay Robinson.

Using exclusively running plays, the Eagles marched 65-yards the field for a touchdown. Hayden Miller punched the ball into the end-zone from 2-yards out, leaving the score 6-0 in favor of Uniontown. A successful 2-point conversion by Ty Davidson resulted in an 8-0 lead for the Eagles with 4:41 left in the first quarter.

With both teams relying heavily on their ground game, the first quarter quickly came to a close, with Uniontown still leading 8-0.

Early in the second quarter and faced with a fourth down, the Vikings converted on a jet sweep. On the ensuing play, freshman quarterback Karter Dugan found his brother Kadin Dugan for a long pass play that brought the Vikings inside the Uniontown 10-yard line. Two plays later, Karter Dugan threw a 5-yard slant pass that was caught by receiver Ethan Balk and ran into the end-zone for a Viking score. The 2-point try was successful on a quarterback scramble by Dugan deadlocking the score at 8-8 with 8:36 remaining in the second quarter.

With the Arma home crowd fired up, the Vikings capitalized on the momentum, intercepting a pass on the Eagles ensuing drive that set up Northeast with great field position.

Moving the ball with success on more jet sweep actions, the Vikings moved inside the Uniontown 2-yard line. Once again Karter Dugan would score the Viking touchdown, this time on a quarterback sneak up the middle. The 2-point conversion was successful, giving Northeast a 16-8 lead with 6:36 left in the quarter.

Near the end of the half, the Eagles’ Jacob Wiggins nearly blocked a punt, missing the ball by just a few feet. Uniontown would go three and out to end the second quarter.

At halftime the Vikings led the Eagles 16-8.

Uniontown received the ball to begin the second half, but could not get any traction on offense, forcing them to punt to the Vikings.

Northeast’s first possession of the third quarter was very similar to their opening drive of the game. The Vikings had marched into Uniontown territory, using a multitude of running plays. Face with a long second down, the Vikings Karter Dugan dropped back to pass. With immediate pressure by a host of Eagle defenders, Dugan was forced to rush his throw. Uniontown freshman Jake Harvey capitalized by jumping in front of a Viking receiver for an interception. With a full head of steam and a multitude of Eagle blockers, Harvey returned the interception for a 72-yard touchdown. The ensuing 2-point try was no good, but Uniontown was still within 16-14 with 9:18 remaining in the third quarter.

Uniontown’s defense would stiffen as the quarter went on, forcing a Viking punt that was this time blocked by Jacob Wiggins and recovered by the Eagles.

Using their ground and pound attack, the Eagles’ rode running backs Gavin Fry and Hayden Miller to the Northeast red-zone. Gavin Fry would eventually power his way into the end-zone, dragging multiple Viking defenders with him. The 2-point try was successful, giving Uniontown a 22-16 lead with 5:15 left in the third. The quarter would end with the same 22-16 score.

With 7:29 remaining in the fourth quarter, Gavin Fry’s big hit forced a Viking fumble, which he recovered. Uniontown could not gain any traction on offense and were forced to punt the ball back to Northeast.

On the ensuing Viking drive, Uniontown looked to have another interception, this time Clay Robinson making the play. However an official lost track of the ball and blew his whistle, signaling the play over even though the ball had never hit the ground after a deflection by Eagle defender Gavin Fry. Northeast was able to keep possession of the ball.

After a 25-yard quarterback scramble by Karter Dugan, the Vikings were in business at the Uniontown 30-yard line. Two plays later, Dugan found his brother, Kadin, for a long touchdown pass tying the score at 22 a piece with only 2:18 left in the fourth quarter. The 2-point try was stopped inches shy of the goal line by a swarm of Uniontown players.

The fourth quarter ended, sending the contest into overtime tied at 22.

Northeast would have the first possession of overtime after winning the coin toss. With the ball spotted at the Uniontown 10-yard line, running back Nathan Boswell ran nearly untouched into the end-zone on the first play of overtime. The 2-point conversion was good, putting the score 30-22 in favor of the Vikings.

On Uniontown’s first play in the overtime session, Gavin Fry scampered into the end-zone for a 10-yard touchdown. With the Eagles trailing 30-28, Hayden Miller took a half back toss and converted the 2-point try, tying the score at 30.

Per KSHSAA high school overtime rules, Uniontown would receive the first possession of the second overtime. Again on the very first play of overtime number two, Hayden Miller took a hand off up the middle for a touchdown, dragging four Vikings with him. Miller also converted the 2-point conversion, giving Uniontown a 38-30 lead.

Needing a stop to win the game, the Eagles defense rallied together. On first down, Ty Davidson tackled Northeast running back Ethan Balk for a 2-yard loss. Facing a second and long, Nathan Boswell took a Viking jet sweep, before being blown up in the backfield by Eagles Gavin Fry and Clay Robinson. With a third and long looming, the Vikings elected to pass, but it was broken up by multiple defenders. The Vikings called an timeout, needing a score on fourth and long to have a chance to extend the game. Lined up with five wide receivers and an empty backfield, Northeast snapped the ball. The Eagles go immediate pressure by their defensive line, forcing Karter Dugan to rush his throw. The pass was intercepted by Clay Robinson to seal a thrilling Uniontown victory, 38-30.

Uniontown was led on offense by their running backs. Hayden Miller finished with 87 yards on 26 carries and two touchdowns, while Gavin Fry finished the game with 61 yards on 11 carries, also scoring two touchdowns. On defense the Eagles were paced by Nick Hathaway who finished with 12 tackles. Ty Davidson had 9 tackles and Gavin Fry had 7 tackles for Uniontown.

Nathen Boswell led Northeast, carrying the ball 13 times for 74 yards. Boswell also scored a touchdown. Karter Dugan accounted for 3 total touchdowns, 2 passing and 1 rushing. Hunter Jackson led the Vikings on defense, finishing with 14 tackles.

Uniontown improves to 2-1 on the season, while the Vikings fall to 0-3.

Next Saturday Uniontown (2-1, 1-1 TRL) will travel to Olathe to play Kansas City Christ Prep in a non-league contest. The game is scheduled to begin at 5:00 p.m. Northeast (0-3, 0-2) will also hit the road, as they travel to face Belle Plaine Friday night.

UNIONTOWN  8   0  14  0  8  8  — 38

NORTHEAST    0  16   0  6  8  0  — 30

Quick Notes:

  • Uniontown has won the last seven contests against Northeast.
  • Uniontown matched their win total from last season (2).
  • Both teams only have four seniors on their rosters.
  • Uniontown was missing two starters, Tim Smith and Andrew Reed.
  • The 30 points Northeast scored are the most they have scored since 2015.
  • Uniontown moves into second place in the TRL 11-Man Division.
  • Northeast out gained Uniontown in total yards.
  • Uniontown forced four turnovers, while Northeast forced one.
  • Northeast has now lost 15 consecutive games, but have come within one possession of winning their last two contests.